Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Career Fair for ALL majors???

My school participated in a career fair this past Tuesday. I decided that since I am a senior and about to graduate, I should check it out. I went online to check out the over 100 companies that were going to be represented at this fair. Since my school was advertising this as a place for ALL majors, I thought it would be prefect. I made a list of companies that I was interested in talking. Amazingly enough, some of them even had design positions open. I felt prepared and I looked great in my new suit.

I drove 2 hours to Atlanta just to find out that every company I talked to wanted sales people and engineers. Even the companies that had design positions open, the representatives either knew nothing about it or just didn't want to talk about those positions. It was the biggest waste of time and worse than that, it was the biggest discouragement.

Next time I see a career fair for all majors, I'll be sure to let my business and engineering major friends know about it.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Bummer Lex...sorry =(

Better luck next time! xoxoxox

Sjn said...

hang in there... only the strong survive!
( I heard that once, is it a song lyric?)
stay persistent and you will find something.