Monday, May 11, 2009

Graduation

As I left my last class for the spring of 2009, I happened to walk past the tennis courts and I heard music playing. The song I heard was the theme song for my high school graduation. It almost brought a tear to my eyes. The past four years at Georgia College and State University have been some of the best memories of my life. I have made life long friends and learned so much, not only in the class room but out in the world. Here are some of my college memories...
  • I started college as a chemistry major and then went through pre-pharmacy, liberal studies, museum studies, and finally settled on Digital Media in the Art Department.
  • I had a mix of great roommates and not so great roommates.
  • I pledged a sorority and held a position on executive board.
  • My first roommate, who I will always like the most, took me to my first college party and introduced me to the boy who kissed me for the first time.
  • I went to Italy and had the most amazing time of my life.
  • I failed and succeeded.
  • I ate Ramen for the first time... and loved it!
  • I played flag football and learned to play softball.
  • I rescued a puppy and found him a good home.
  • I found a family of friends called the Mansion.
  • I dyed my hair pink, orange, and green.
  • I got my first apartment.
  • I learned that living with 13 girls is not as bad as I thought.
  • I learned that cockroaches come out on the sidewalk at night and it is impossible to avoid them all.
  • I learned that the best work gets done in the middle of the night in a freezing cold art room with a tall white chocolate mocha and some fun music playing.
  • I learned the best way to avoid a hangover is macaroni and cheese and not to mix wine and beer.
  • I learned that no matter now much you ask her to clean up, or post a chore list, or put up a trash schedule, a bad roommate will not clean up after herself.
  • Living in the dorms was awesome and Sanford boys will always be crazy.
  • Sometimes you just need to cry.
  • You have to learn a lot of unnecessary information (like a mganga uses a fly whisk) in order to get to the interesting and worthwhile information (like good friends stick with you even when you are a jerk, or if there is cake it is going to be in someone's face sooner or later, or all great artists know their art history).
I walked across the stage and took my (empty) diploma case and felt a huge wave of relief. I had the time of my life in college, and, although its not quite over ( I have 3 more summer classes), I feel like I am starting a new and exciting chapter in my life and I look forward to the years to come. I want to thank my family and friends for sticking with me through everything, without them, especially my parents, college just would not have been the same.

2 comments:

Sjn said...

you look very proud in that photo and you should be! Way to go girl! Dad and I are very proud of you too, and will continue to stand by you through all that the future holds.
How exciting... the times ahead!

Kelly said...

That brought a few tears to my eyes! I am so proud of you Al and can't wait to see what adventure you go on next! I love you! xoox