Friday, January 2, 2009

No carbs? No thank you!

South Beach is a hot vacation spot in Florida... it also happens to be a very popular diet trend that I am newly trying out. There is nothing like coming home and facing the mirrors on my family's faces reflecting that my last semesters at school have not been kind to my weight. Quite the wake up call. So, with promotions of being easy to follow and quick to work, I decided it was time that Alex went to South Beach.

As most know, the South Beach Diet is VERY low on carbs and sugar. Carbs and sugar happen to be the staple in my diet. Give me a bowl of mashed potatoes or ice cream any day! Thankfully, in the book I am reading, I get a nice, neat list of good foods and foods to avoid. My new diet with consist of sugar-free jello and a whole lot of eggs.

I must say, the first day of this diet nearly killed me. My body is so used to having carbs to burn through that when I did not eat any, I got light headed and sick to my stomach. Thankfully, day two is proving to be much much easier.

I am also trying this new thing called ex-er-cise. I have discovered Fit tv. As of now, I am not a fan of MaDonna's hip hop routine or Namaste Yoga but good old Gilad can always be counted on for an easy to follow aerobics routine.

My parents have both decided that they want to lose a few too. As my mom says "I am just trying to lose muffins." My dad is giving up beer and ice cream and is trying to start up a walking routine. Living at home for the moment is good because I have a lot of encouragement from them. When I go back to school, I know it will be harder, but I have the support of my boyfriend, who although loves me the way I am, said that in support of my diet decision, he would even try to get healthier himself.

So here it goes... lets lose those muffins!!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I am very proud of you- and you will always be beautiful no matter what! We can be each others encouragement...I have a special new year's resolution up my sleeve too. ;)

Sjn said...

You are off to a great start! I will support you and cook you only SB recipes (or no-carb versions of what I cook) while you are home. I'm so proud of you!!!
Here's to health and fitness in 2009!